Philosophy In Bollywood Songs


When you listen to a Bollywood song, you generally relate to its melody or beat and rarely to the deep meaning lurking in their lyrics. An occasional Hindi film song can make a deep impact. I am sure each of you has his own favourite philosophical song or a verse that has touched your heart. Here are some of my favourite lyrics from Hindi film songs, with my translations.

For instance, here is lyricist Sahir Ludhianvi’s take on the Sufi/Taoist attitude to life in ‘Main Zindagi Ka Saath Nibhata Chala Gaya’ (from the film Hum Dono).

Main zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya
Har fikr ko dhuen mein udata chala gaya

Barbadiyon ka shok manana fizul tha
Barbadiyon ka jashn manata chala gaya
Har fikar ko dhuen mein uda… 

Jo mil gaya usi ko muqaddar samajh liya
Jo kho gaya maein usko bhulata chala gaya
Har fikar ko dhuen mein uda… 

Gham aur khushi mein farq na mehsoos ho jahan
Main dil ko us muqaam pe laata chala gaya
Har fikar ko dhuen mein uda…

I kept going with the flow
Puffing away all anxieties up in smoke

’Twas pointless to grieve over every tragedy
Instead I kept celebrating each misfortune
Puffing away all anxieties up in smoke…

What came my way I considered my destiny
What was lost I took to forgetting
Puffing away all anxieties up in smoke…

I kept bringing my heart to the point
Where you couldn’t distinguish pain from joy
Puffing away all anxieties up in smoke…
----
Then look at this classic verse from another song ‘Kabhi Khud Pe’ from the same movie, once again by Sahir Ludhianvi:

Kaun rota hai kisi aur ki khatir ai dost
Sabko apni hi kisi baat pe rona aaya


Who grieves for anybody else, my friend
Everybody cries for some remembered sorrow of his own
----
In the movie Guide, it is lyricist Shailendra’s turn to make us ponder, in the song ‘Wahan Kaun Hai Tera’.

Tu ne toh sabko raah dikhayee
Tu apni manzil kyon bhula?
Tu apni manzil kyon bhula?
Kyon nache sapera?

You showed the path to everyone else
Why did you forget your own destination?
Why does the snake charmer dance, instead of the snake?
----

In a more recent song, Irshad Kamil touched our hearts with his Sufi lyrics for ‘Kun Faya Kun’ from the film Rockstar.

Ho mujhpe karam sarkar tera
Araz tujhe, karde mujhe, mujhse hi riha
Ab mujhko bhi ho, deedaar mera
Karde mujhe, mujhse hi riha
Mujhse hi rihaaaaaaaa

Bestow your grace on me my Master
I urge you, release me from ‘me’
May I too behold my Self
Release me from ‘me’
Release my true Self from its misidentification with ‘me’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redemption: Gandhi shows a way out of Hell

Seek out the expertise

Ramana Maharshi on Bhakti and Total Surrender